Sunday, October 30, 2011

MicroAquarium Observations on 10/27/11

   While visiting my MicroAquarium this week, I noticed a dramatic increase in activity and movement.  My MicroAquarium was full of life; I could see small microorganisms swimming around in all different directions and at varying speeds.  I also noticed a large increase in the diversity of life that was present.  There was a reason for this substantial increase in activity in my MicroAquarium.  On October 21st, one Beta Food Pellet was added to the watery matrix.  The following is information on the Beta Food Pellet: "Atison's Betta Food" made by Ocean Nutrition, Aqua Pet Americas, 3528 West 500 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84104. Ingredients: Fish meal, wheat flower, soy meal, krill meal, minerals, vitamins and preservatives. Analysis: Crude Protein 36%; Crude fat 4.5%; Crude Fiber 3.5%; Moisture 8% and Ash 15%.
   As I was looking through the microscope, I observed that there seemed to be more activity in the middle area of the MicroAquarium where the plant material is located and on the bottom layer where the soil is positioned.  Around the plant material, I saw many large animal-like organisms ingesting the leaves of the Amblestegium sp. moss.  Upon further observation, I noticed that they were the same rotifers I saw from last week, yet they had dramatically multiplied in numbers.  With the help of Dr. McFarland and the 4th edition of Pennak's Freshwater Invertebrates of the United States: Porifera to Crustacea, I was able to confirm that the organisms I was observing were indeed rotifers, Euchlanis sp. (Figure 1).  These rotifers have tail-like structures and a large mouth for consuming organic matter (Smith 2001).  More Vorticella sp. were also thriving in my MicroAquarium this week; around 20 organisms were present.  While continuing to scan my aquarium, I made an amazing discovery.  Along the edges of my aquarium, I saw a green sphere with spike-like filaments protruding from it.  According to Guide to Microlife, these creatures were Actinosphaerium sp. (Figure 2).  One of the Actinosphaerium sp. I saw was actually ingesting some foreign material using one of its large vacuoles, according to Dr. McFarland (Figure 3).


Figure 1 (Corresponds to figure 7.2 on page 131 in the 4th edition of Pennak's Freshwater Invertebrates of the United States: Porifera to Crustacaea)



Figure 2 (Corresponds to Image 21 on page 82 in Guide to Microlife)

Figure 3 (Corresponds to Image 21 on page 82 in Guide to Microlife)
   I also saw a nematode moving around in my MicroAquarium along with some more Notosolenus sp.  One organism that caught my attention was the Euplotes sp. because of the cilia that was moving in circles on the bottom of its transparent body (Figure 4).  I could see the inner workings of its body, which was absolutely fascinating.  Dr. McFarland and I were able to identify this species and another organism called a Lembadion sp. using the text Free-Living Freshwater Protozoa.  The Lembadion sp. was swimming in fast circles while moving from one area to the next in the MicroAquarium (Figure 5).  I'm very interested in seeing what new organisms I will view next week in my MicroAquarium!


Figure 4 (Corresponds to Figure 259 on page 124 in Free-Living Freshwater Protozoa)


Figure 5 (Corresponds to Figure 319 on page 144 in Free-Living Freshwater Protozoa)


No comments:

Post a Comment